"The Five Basics of Effective Governing" provides newly elected municipal officials basic information about municipal governance that will be helpful during their first few months in office.
- Understand your leadership role - examine what makes a successful leader and how to represent everyone in your city or town.
- Know your city - look at all the different aspects of a city that each councilmember should know including staff, services, infrastructure and form of government.
- Know your budget - look at some of the basic requirements by state law that every councilmember should know.
- Conduct effective meetings - examine what makes an effective meeting and agenda procedures.
- Understand the Freedom of Information Act and Ethics Act - look at the FOIA laws and requirements and a conflict of interest scenario that highlights the Ethics Act.